Self-care is a variety of activities that we can do that improve our overall mental and physical health. This might be eating healthier, regular exercise, or reading. Taking care of yourself is so important. Especially when it comes to mental well-being. A
good self-care routine can help improve mood, reduce anxiety, help improve sleep, and help our relationships. Developing your own personal self-care routine is a vital part of wellness. Sometimes I hear people say they don't know what to do to take care of themselves. So here are 5 ideas that are easy and convenient and can be done by almost anyone.
1. Learn a healthy breathing exercise. This might be deep breathing or some other breathing technique. At Phoenix Rising Counseling Center, we believe in the importance of breath and incorporate breath into most treatment plans.
2. Write in a journal. Write about your thoughts. Jot some notes about a big idea you have. Ask and answer questions about yourself. Free write.
3. Try a meditation practice. There are many guided meditations on YouTube or apps that you can download to help you along if needed.
4. Allow enough time for 8 hours of sleep. Getting plenty of rest is essential for mental and physical health. Be sure to give yourself enough time for sufficient sleep.
5. Watch a movie. Take time to sit and relax and watch that movie you've been wanting to see. Or perhaps an old favorite.